Hey guys its Dr. Kinky!
Victoria Secret Models piss me off beyond words. Typically I will go to VS to get some cute underwear and nice bras. They fit well and feel nice, though quite overpriced. Whether I walk into the store or check my email and get a message from them, I am bombarded with their overly airbrushed thin, tan, skinny models.
Guys and girls go to VS and sometimes even little kids with their moms! What pisses me off is that no matter what age you are, these images get stuck in your mind and change the way you think. The human mind stores every single thing you see as a picture. It is just the recall of these images that depends on the number of times you see the image. So these fake skinny models (yes, fake skinny because they are airbrushed to look that thin) are what the world views as "hot", "sexy" and "beautiful". Boys and men assume that these are how women should look in bed. Newsflash, we do not look like that. You can't be a 00 with 32D boobs and a big butt. I don't think it works that way.
These ultra photoshopped models are who we the normal women of this world have to compete with for sexual attention. It's impossible for any woman even the models to look like the women in these pictures! This is why women have to spend hours getting dressed in the morning to make sure they don't look fat. This is why jean shopping is such a hassle, because women have to make sure their thighs look skinny, but their hips look wider and their butt looks big. This is why girls with A cup boobs always feel so bad about themselves compared to their larger endowed friends. This is why some women prefer certain sexual positions to hide where they think they look fatter even if it means compromising their sexual pleasure. And cue all of the unhealthy fad diets. Eating disorders also develop as a result of the constant pressure to conform to look a certain way.
I am pretty sure that men don't have the same standards to keep up with. Most of my girlfriends, though we drool over men with six packs, prefer to have partners that don't have "perfect" abs or "perfect" features. My girlfriends feel this way, because they say it takes the pressure off of them to look perfect and amazing all the time. So they feel pressure to look perfect for men, but no matter how a man looks, he wouldn't pass up the opportunity to be with a woman who looked like the ideal beauty pageant girl. Men in my view have a preconceived notion that women are supposed to look a certain way and they look for these traits in a future partner. Women seem to be more forgiving about a male partner's looks. Sure you are a little chubby around the waste but you are such a sweetheart. Whereas men, "Sure you are a little chubby around the waste...you better give me really good blowjobs". Women can be quite mean and rude when commenting about the appearance of males, but I feel that women seem to be more forgiving than men.
I have definitely taken measures to try to conform to how society wants me to look. I get my nails done at least once a month, my hair cut by a stylist, get my eyebrows done once a month, workout, wear makeup when I want to meet guys, etc. Although I don't think I will stop doing all of these things, my view on them has changed. I no longer go out in sweats with no makeup and think omg no guy will want to approach me since I look like crap, but instead I think, if he wants to get with me he is going to have to see my when I look gorgeous but also when I look like complete shit, might as well get used to the latter.
I think women have the ability to change the parameters by which society views our beauty by working together. Why hasn't a VS model asked if VS can have an ad campaign that features real women wearing their bras and underwear? Why hasn't a VS model asked if VS would stop photoshopping her so that her thighs are unnaturally skinny? If they have, what has held back these things from happening?
Please let me know what you guys think!
Lots of love,
Dr. Kinky
I wrote a similar post a while ago! And it summarizes a lot of my thoughts on this better than more commentary would. http://www.fornicatingfeminists.com/2011/01/strange-power-of-victorias-secret.html
ReplyDeleteBut I would also say don't hate on the VS models individually--they're just part of the ridiculous system and society that rewards women for their looks above all else. I'd love to see them advocate for more normal bodies too though.